American McGee’s Alice

Alice Madness Returns

Posted by on 24 Aug, 2011 in American McGee's Alice, Photoshoots, Projects | 0 comments

Alice Madness Returns

Based on: American McGee’s Alice Madness Returns [Game, 2011] Where: Drottningholm Palace When: 2011-08-07 Model: C. Sanchez Photography: Lord Canon & Heather Belles Camera used: Canon EOS 450D Make-up: Heather Belles Costume: Jano Me Post Pizza: Calzone, Tropicana, Vesuvio and a Ceaser salad (?!) [Show as...

Read More

Alice, what have you not done?!

Posted by on 6 Jun, 2011 in American McGee's Alice, Behind the scenes, Projects | 0 comments

Alice, what have you not done?!

These are the behind the scenes photos of our Alice shoot. The pictures of Sanchez as Alice sitting on a bed are from when we first tried out the costume, so the costume wasn’t fully finished. Why: Sanchez and I are co-workers, and for several years our job has sent us to work at a Japanese pop culture convention, and we’ve made it a tradition to always dress up for these occasions. We usually aim to do a group cosplay, but being a bit too optimistic when it comes to time and workload tend to disrupt our plans. This year was no exception. The plan was for Sanchez to dress up as Alice and me as Sam from Gray Matter, but it ended up being just Sanchez as an almost finished Alice. Feeling that it was a shame not to do a proper Alice with a vorpal blade and taking some photos of it, I asked Sanchez if she wanted to join the Incognito project and do a photoshoot. How: Alice really isn’t an advanced costume, but it’s all in the details whether it will look good or not. Finding a fabric with the right shade of blue proved harder than I thought it would be. The dress is partially lined and was made in two pieces, a normal bodice with puffy sleeves and a circle skirt to get the right fullness and flow. At the hem of the skirt I hand stitched on a lace border.  The apron was made of white muslin that I had lying at home, in hindsight I wish I had used something thicker for it, and the signs on the pockets were drawn on by Sanchez with a fabric marker. The ribbon and belt are detachable. I used a very light interfacing to get the right rigidness for the ribbon, so it would stay put but still droop a little. I almost forgot the skull, I remembered it the day before the convention when I went shopping for fake blood. I had planned to do it in paperclay, but realising that I wouldn’t have time I bought a small plastic skull, cut it in half and painted it. It turned out rather well, so I never got around redoing it for the photoshoot. It’s attached to the ribbon with a safety pin. The first omega necklace I did was rather rushed. It was made out of paper clay just days before the convention. I usually don’t work with clay, so I forgot that it warps when drying. The shape was twisted, and when I tried to fix it I manage to break it. With a little glue, sanding and paint it turned out ok. For the photoshoot I redid it, making it bigger, remembering to put a light weight on it while it was drying and painting it with spray paint. The vorpal blade took the longest to make. I haven’t really done that many props, and never done a blade before. It was a fun experience, and I learned a lot from it. I started by using Featherweights tutorial for blades. It went so-so, me and the glue gun can’t really seem to get along, but I really recommend Featherweights tutorial. Anyway, I ended up with a glue covered base that had a nice shape, but wouldn’t get smooth enough.  Rummaging through my material stack I found papier-mâché powder which I used to cover the blade. To get the right shape for the hilt I wrapped it with foam (used in furniture) and normal scotch tape, and then I covered it with papier-mâché. When it had dried I started sanding it, but I still felt the surface wasn’t smooth enough. Cue fine grade plaster. After using plaster and some more sanding, I finally had a really smooth surface. After achieving a smooth surface it was time to start to think about the markings on the sword. I wanted them to have depth, and not just be painted on. I started by sketching out the markings with a pencil, on the first try I did them...

Read More